European Youth Forum søker secetary generalUtlysning fra: European Youth Forum
The European Youth Forum AISBL (Youth Forum) is the platform of youth organisations in Europe. We represent over 100 youth organisations, which bring together tens of millions of young people from all over Europe. The Youth Forum works to empower young people to participate actively in society to improve their own lives by representing and advocating their needs and interests and those of their organisations. In the current uncertain political and social context that affects young people, they can be powerful catalysts for positive change and contributors of innovative solutions to Europe’s challenges.
The Youth Forum is now looking for its new Secretary General. The selected person will hold one of the highest positions in the youth movement. The position is based in Brussels and is vacant from 1 June 2020. The Secretary General will be appointed by the Board in March 2020 and the mandate will be ratified by the Council of Members on 17-18 April 2020 for a three-year mandate, renewable once for a second two-year mandate, upon positive decision of the Board.
In accordance with Article 4.5.3 of the Youth Forum’s statutes, the Secretary General shall supervise and coordinate the work of the Secretariat. The Secretary-General is responsible for the daily functioning of the Forum under guidance and delegation of the Board. The Secretary General shall:
- Lead the Secretariat – 30 staff members, with a €3.5 million annual budget
- Be responsible for the daily functioning of the Youth Forum under the guidance and delegation of the Board
- Plan and manage the organisation’s advocacy work.
- Proven leadership capacity and people management skills;
- Proven organisational, project management and strategic planning skills;
- Experience and good knowledge of youth work issues and work of the EU, CoE and UN;
- Excellent problem-solving management and decision-making skills;
- Excellent organisational communication skills: active listening, empathy and diplomacy;
- Able to manage different priorities and responsibilities;
- Able to articulate and promote the vision of the organisation;
- Demonstrate clarity, concision and confidence;
- Excellent advocacy, negotiation and persuasion skills;
- Excellent oral, written and digital communication skills;
- Able to work with and report to a volunteer-led Board;
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to work in an international and intercultural environment;
- Fluent in English is essential and working knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- At least 10 years experience.
- Experience in managing a minimum of 20 people.
- Able to work flexible hours and when required on weekends.
- Able and willing to travel.
- Available to start the position in May 2020 (handover), with a mandate starting on 1 June 2020.
What we offer
- An international and dynamic working environment.
- A key position in the youth movement in Europe.
- A contact network among youth leaders in Europe and in the European institutions.
- The possible maximum duration of the mandate for the post is until June 2023.
- The European Youth Forum will support the selected candidate with acquiring a work permit if needed.
Terms of the contract
The duration of the contract is three years. The contract is renewable for a period of two years upon positive decision of the Board. The contract is full time and the gross monthly salary -depending on the years of experience- can range from 4,131 to 5,036 euros (according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement currently applied at the European Youth Forum). A relocation package, hospitalisation insurance and other benefits are available. Travel expenses within the Brussels region are covered by the Youth Forum.
In order to ensure an upfront and transparent selection procedure, please see the expected timeline for the selection procedure below:
12 December 2019 Deadline for applications
December – January 2020 Telephone interviews
January – February 2020 Interview and Assessment center
21-22 March 2020 Meeting & final interview with the Board
17-18 April 2020 Ratification by the Council of Members
A CV and a letter of application should be received by the deadline. Please send your CV and letter of application in English by (12 December 2019 – 23h59 CET), to the contact person of the Recruitment company managing the selection: Recruitment company: European Affairs Recruitment Specialists (EARS) Name: Anna Koj E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Short-listed candidates will be reimbursed for expenses incurred when invited for interview in Brussels. In order to facilitate the selection process, all communication to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English. All candidates are kindly requested to refrain from any phone inquiries.
All appointments should be made in a transparent way and comply with all relevant employment regulations. No job applicant or employee should receive less favorable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, gender identity, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.
All applicants, whether EU or non-EU citizens, are considered equally. the Youth Forum welcomes all nationalities and will take any work permit request at its charge.
Any relevant volunteering experience is considered equal to any other professional experience.
Conflict of interest
All applicants should be informed and should inform the Youth Forum of any possible conflict of interest. Selected candidates should be aware that working and/or volunteering for a Member Organisation of the European Youth Forum, institutions, political parties or other representative civil society organisations at the European level might not be compatible with working at the Youth Forum.